Assistant Professor/Research fellow
Dr. rer. nat. Benjamin Walter
+49 721 608-42717
b walter∂kit edu
I am interested in all kind of fluids responsible for ore-formation in magmatic, metamorphic, sedimentary and hydrothermal settings. My major research focus is to decipher processes leading to ore formation in carbonatites, alkaline-rocks and hydrothermal vein-type deposits. My current projects are:
Alkaline silicate rocks and carbonatites
- The influence of crustal contamination on a late-stage REE-mineralization in carbonatites (collaboration with Gregor Markl, Michael Marks, Johannes Giebel, Tübingen)
- The role of late-stage fluids in carbonatite and alkaline silicate rocks (collaboration with Gregor Markl, Michael Marks, Johannes Giebel, Tübingen)
- The mineralogical control of geophysical exploration signatures (HiTech AlkCarb project)
- New geomodels for exploring carbonatites and alkaline silicate rocks (HiTech AlkCarb project)
- The genesis of the South African and Namibian alkaline provinces province (collaboration with Gregor Markl, Michael Marks, Johannes Giebel, Tübingen)
- Reconstruction of hydrothermal system in volcanoes of the East African rift (collaboration with Will Hutchinson, St Andrews, Scotland)
- Petrology and age-constrains of the SW-German alkaline province (collaboration with Gregor Markl and Michael Marks, Tübingen; Jens Grimmer KIT)
- Shallow plumbing systems in alkaline and carbonatite complexes (HiTech AlkCarb project)
Hydrothermal vein type deposits
- Trace element systematics of hematite-hosted fluid inclusions (cooperation with Gregor Markl, Michel Marks, Tübingen and Matthew Steele-MacInnis, Edmonton, Canada)
- Mineralogical changes within a single vein and the relation to superregional events
- Deciphering fluid migration pathways (cooperation with Mathias Burisch, Freiberg)
- The geochemistry of native arsenic and arsenides in hydrothermal vein-type deposits (cooperation with Gregor Markl and Manuel Scharrer, Tübingen)
- The genesis of ore shoots in hydrothermal veins (cooperation with Gregor Markl and Manuel Scharrer, Tübingen)
- Kinetics of ore precipitation in hydrothermal systems
Other projects I contribute:
- Dolomitization in oil reservoirs (cooperation with Adrian Immenhauser and Anton Kolchugin, Kazan, Russia)
- How to bring hydrocarbons into crystalline basement rocks? (cooperation with Graham Banks, GEUS Copenhagen)
- Testing the resilience of ancient early diagenetic dolomites as archives of their palaeo-environment (cooperation with Adrian Immenhauser and Mathias Müller, Bochum)
- Petrology of the Kaiserstuhl
- Fluid evolution of continental basement brines by microthermometry and crush leach analyses
- Ore forming processes in hydrothermal vein-type deposits, Schwarzwald, Germany
- Stable isotope chemistry of hydrothermal vein-type deposits
- Mg-isotope systematics of hydrothermal carbonates (cooperation with A. Immenhauser, RUB Bochum, Germany)
- Ore petrography and ore chemistry of hydrothermal vein-type deposits
- Ore fluid evolution in the continental crystalline basement
- Ore precipitation processes by LA-ICPMS analyses of single fluid inclusions (cooperation with C. Heinrich & M. Wälle ETH Zürich, Switzerland)
- U-Pb age-dating of hydrothermal gangue and ore minerals (cooperation with A. Gerdes, Frankfurt, Germany)
- Evolution of fluid pathways in crystalline basement (cooperation with C. Heinrich & M. Wälle ETH Zürich, Switzerland)
- Multi-aquifer fluid mixing processes as first order processes for ore precipitation
Fluid Inclusion short course
This 1 SWS short course provides basic knowledge in microthermometrical analyses and data interpretation.
Field Trip: Hydrothermal ore forming processes, Schwarzwald
This 3 day field trip provides basic knowledge in mapping ore mineralizations in the field, relationship of host rock and hydrothermal veins and ore forming processes.
Field Trip: Isle of Mull, Scotland (2018)
Mapping Course Elba, Italy
Mapping Course Syros/Naxos, Greece
Dipl. Mineraloge, Postdoc, supervisor of the microthermometry and cathodoluminescence microscopy labs
2006-2012 Diploma in Geoscience, Eberhard Karls University, Tuebingen
2012-2016 Ph.D in Mineralogy, Eberhard Karls University, Tübingen
Ph.D. thesis: Ore forming processes in hydrothermal vein-type deposits, Schwarzwald, Germany
5/2016 Postdoc, Eberhard Karls University, Tübingen (HiTech AlkCarb project)
The HiTech AlkCarb project is funded under the European Union's Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation programme, to develop new geomodels and sustainable exploration methods for alkaline igneous rocks and carbonatites (http://www.bgs.ac.uk/HiTechAlkCarb/). I was project partner in the EKUT team and we work in the Kaiserstuhl SW Germany on science question 1 in work package 2: „How can we predict what intrusive rocks are present at depth using volcanic carbonatites and alkaline rocks exposed at the surface?“
Publikationen bis 2018
Epp,T. , Walter, B.F., Scharrer, M., Lehmann, G., Henze, K., Heimgärtner, C., Bach, W. and Markl, G. (2018): Quartz with associated Sb-Pb-Ag±Au mineralization in the Schwarzwald, SW Germany: a record of metamorphic cooling, tectonic rifting and element remobilization processes in the Variscan belt. Mineralium Deposita. DOI: 10.1007/s00126-018-0855-8
Braunger, S., Marks, M.A.W., Walter, B.F., Neubauer, R., Reich, R., Wenzel, T., Parsapoor Anis & Markl, G. (2018). The Petrology of the Kaiserstuhl Volcanic Complex, SW Germany: The Importance of Metasomatized and Oxidized Lithospheric Mantle for Carbonatite Generation. Journal of Petrology. Journal of Petrology 59 (9), 1731-1762.
Walter, B.F., Gerdes, A., Kleinhanns, I. C., Dunkl, I., von Eynatten, H., Kreissl, S., & Markl, G. (2018): The connection between hydrothermal fluids, mineralization, tectonics and magmatism in a continental rift setting: fluorite Sm-Nd and hematite and carbonates U-Pb geochronology from the Rhinegraben in SW Germany. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 240, 11-42.
Walter B.F., Parsapoor A., Braunger S., Marks M.A.W., Wenzel T., Martin M., Markl G. (2018): Pyrochlore as a monitor for magmatic and hydrothermal processes in carbonatites from the Kaiserstuhl volcanic complex (SW Germany). Chemical Geology 498, 1-16.
Keim, M. F., Walter, B. F., Neumann, U., Kreissl, S., Bayerl, R. & Markl, G. (2018): Polyphase enrichment and redistribution processes in silver-rich mineral associations of the hydrothermal fluorite-barite-(Ag-Cu) Clara deposit, SW Germany. Mineralium Deposita 53, 1-20.
Kreissl, S., Gerdes, A., Walter, B.F., Neumann, U., Wenzel, T. and Markl, G. (2018): Reconstruction of a >200 Ma multi-stage “five element” Bi-Co-Ni-Fe-As-S system in the Penninic Alps, Switzerland. Ore Geology Reviews.
Walter, B.F., Burisch, M., Fusswinkel, T., Marks, M.A.W., Steele-MacInnis, M., Wälle, M., Apukhtina, O., Markl, G. (2018): Multi-reservoir fluid mixing processes in rift-related hydrothermal veins, Schwarzwald, SW-Germany. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 186, 158-186.
Burisch, M., Walter, B.F., Gerdes, A., Lanz, M. and Markl, G. (2018): Late-stage anhydrite-gypsum-siderite-dolomite-calcite assemblages record the transition from a deep to a shallow hydrothermal system in the Schwarzwald mining district, SW Germany. Geochimica and Cosmochimica Acta 223, 259-278.
Walter, B.F., Steele-MacInnis, M. and Markl, G. (2017): Sulfate brines in fluid inclusions of hydrothermal veins: Compositional determinations in the system H2O-Na-Ca-Cl-SO4. Geochimica et Cosmocimica Acta, 209, 184-203.
Burisch, M., Walter, B.F. and Markl, G. (2017): Silification of hydrothermal gangue minerals in Pb-Zn-Cu-fluorite-quartz-baryte veins. Canadian Mineralogist 55, 1-14.
Walter, B.F., Burisch, M., Marks, M.A.W. & Markl, G. (2017): Major element composition of fluid inclusions from hydrothermal vein-type deposits record eroded sedimentary Units in the Schwarzwald district, SW Germany. Mineralium Deposita 52(8), 1191-1204.
Burisch, M., Gerdes, A., Walter, B.F., Neumann, U., Fettel, M. and Markl, G. (2016): Methane and the origin of five-element veins: Mineralogy, age, fluid inclusion chemistry and ore forming processes in the Odenwald, SW Germany. Ore Geology Reviews. DOI:10.1016/j.oregeorev.2016.10.033
Walter, B.F., Burisch, M., Markl, G. (2016): Long-term chemical Evolution and modification of Continental Basement brines - a field study from the Schwarzwald, SW Germany. Geofluids. DOI: 10.1111/gfl.12167.
Burisch, M., Walter, B.F., Wälle, M. and Markl, G. (2016): Tracing fluid migration pathways in root zone below unconformity-related hydrothermal veins: Insights from trace element systematics of individual fluid inclusions. Chemical Geology 429, 44-50.
Kolchugin, A., Immenhauser, A., Walter, B., Morozov, V.P. (2016): Diagenesis of the palaeo-oil-water transition zone in a Lower Pennsylvanian carbonate reservoir: Constraints from cathodoluminescence microscopy, microthermometry, and isotope geochemistry. Marine and Petroleum Geology 72, 45-61.
Walter, B.F., Immenhauser, A., Geske, A. and Markl, G. (2015): Exploration of hydrothermal Carbonate Magnesium isotop signatures as Tracers for Continental fluid aquifers, Schwarzwald mining district, SW Germany. Chemical Geology 400, 87-105.
Bons, P.; Fusswinkel, T.; Gomez-Rivas, E; Markl, G.; Wagner, T.; Walter, B. (2014): Fluid mixing from below in unconformity-related hydrothermal ore deposits. Geology 42(12), 1035-1038.
HiTech AlkCarb field trip Namibia 2018
HiTech AlkCarb field trip Greenland 2017
HiTech AlkCarb field trip Scotland 2017
HiTech AlkCarb field trip Malawi 2016